Field Based Learning with GISetc and SLCC
Costa Rica GIS Institute June/July 2007
Costa Rica is an emerald gem set in the heart of Central America. It is world renowned for its beautiful tropical forests, amazing biological diversity, and dedication to environmental conservation. Learn how to incorporate authentic field research and how to map field data using GIS software and GPS equipment, while exploring this tropical paradise. This 9-day adventure is ideally suited for educators. Your classroom will never be the same again!
Chilamate – Lowland Rainforests
* Explore and map the majestic rainforests of Selva Verde Private Reserve
* Discover the fascinating world of tropical birds, take an exciting river rafting trip and search by boat for wildlife on the Sarapiqui River
* Develop data-gathering and GIS mapping skills using ArcView software
* Help pioneer efforts to provide invaluable physical and human geographic data for use by teacher and student groups both in Costa Rica and at home
* Visit Organization for Tropical Studies
Arenal – Active Volcano
* Learn about Costa Rica’s volcanoes
* Challenge yourself with a thrilling zip-line adventure
Program Price: $1599. The price does NOT include airfare to and from San Jose, Costa Rica. Discount airfares to and from Costa Rica can be purchased through Holbrook Travel or your own travel representative.